Men, here's a little recipe to save for those days when your wife is feeling a bit blue.
What is it?
It's a Chocolate Pear Tart.
Now, I am not really a chocolate fan - weird, I know - but this tart is more then just plain old chocolate. It has the texture of a dark chocolate truffle, balanced perfectly with the light sweetness of the pears. It has a bit of a Mayan chocolate feel with the addition of cinnamon for complexity. It's not your ordinary chocolate tart...and I can bet that whoever you make this for will love you forever (and help you clean out the garage!)
Pear and Chocolate Tart
- 3 x Anjou or Bartlett pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp brandy (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 x large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 x large egg
- Bring pears, sugar, water and lemon juice up to a simmer. Cook pear just below a simmer (and place a plate or piece of parchment over surface of liquid to keep pears from floating) until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. After pears have cooled a bit, remove from liquid, sprinkle with brandy (optional), toss and chill until ready to serve.
- To prepare crust, cream butter and sugar together. Stir in egg yolks, adding one at a time. Sift together flour, cocoa and salt and add to butter mixture. Mix until dough just comes together. Shape in to a disc and chill until ready to roll. If preparing ahead of time, pull dough from fridge an hour before rolling.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to just over ¼-inch (.5 cm) thick. Line a 9-inch (23 cm) removable-bottom tart shell with dough, trim edges and chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C). Dock pastry with a fork and bake for 18-20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 F (160 C). Place chopped chocolate in a large bowl. Heat cream with spices to just below a simmer and pour over chocolate. Let it sit for a minute, then stir slowly. Stir in vanilla.
- Whisk egg in a small cup then stir into chocolate. Pour into chocolate shell and bake for 12 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes, then chill for 2 hours before serving.
- To garnish with pears, slice, pears thinly and arrange over tart.