Saturday, June 28, 2008

the heat is on

So I’m in a rut.
Have you ever had one of those days where you really don’t feel like cooking? Well, my day actually turned into a whole month. I don’t know if it was the extremely humid weather or just lack of ambition, but June was such a blah month for us. Our dinners have been
quick burgers, simple salads, and on particularly good days maybe some homemade hummus. I’m not sure why the inspiration has gone or why food has become so unimportant but I want that to change.

Last night, on a whim, we decided to spice things up with some tandoori shrimp with a side of spicy mango salsa. All through dinner, all I heard from Mony was a muffled ‘this is so good!’.
Now normally, I am not a huge mango fan. I think this comes from growing up in an Indian household where every night with dinner we had a small plate of sliced mango as our dessert. To this day, from May-September, my parents will still buy boxes of mango. Yes, you read that right. Not one or two mangoes, but boxes of them. I guess it's a nostalgic thing for them that goes back to when they were growing up in India. I’m sure Mony's not complaining since he always gets a few to take home with us when we go see them. This salsa was actually made with one of the mango’s that they gave us last week. It was an Alfonso mango – and as they say ‘unless you’ve had an Alfonso mango you’ve never had a mango’. It was super sweet and tender, a perfect platform for the tart lime juice and earthy black beans. A tiny Thai red chili also helped harmonize the flavors. The balance of sweet, sour, and spicy was a huge hit.

Black Bean Mango Salsa
  • 1 cup drained canned black beans, rinsed
  • 1 ripe medium mango, diced
  • 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 small chili pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 medium green onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
In a bowl, combine the black beans, mango, red bell pepper, chili pepper and green onion. In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, salt and cayenne. Fold the mixture into the beans.
Stir in the cilantro and serve chilled or at room temperature.

Were going to the farmer's market this weekend so hopefully there will be more to write about. Plus this summer CSAs are starting next week! w00t!

What are you guys making to beat the heat?

6 comments:

Lore said...

You're definitely on the good way with this tandoori shrimp and spicy mango salsa.
We had 100 degrees last week and all I made were simple pasta dishes and when I say simple I mean it: just some slices of fresh veggies over the pasta.

grace said...

what a glorious salsa! not only is it beautiful to behold, but it also has a bunch of my favorite ingedients. so what am i making to beat the heat? this stellar creation!

Anonymous said...

Love the colors of the salsa ...the shrimps look so very delicious.

what we love in this heat? is... cold water melon and feta cheese.

Anonymous said...

Love the salsa. And I know what you mean about having a blah month. Sadly I was feeling too blah to bake myself a birthday cake :(

Anonymous said...

Love the salsa. And I know what you mean about having a blah month. Sadly I was feeling too blah to bake myself a birthday cake :(

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature your yummy salsa on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/