Tuesday, August 28, 2007

summer latkes

Mony's grandma makes zucchini pancakes (latkes) every once in a while and it has become a favorite of Mony's. This week when he asked if I would make him some for dinner, I was more than happy to oblige but still wanted to make them a little leaner and less heavy. I decided not to use any eggs, and cut way down on the flour. I wanted the zucchini to shine through and be the predominant flavor of the little pancakes.

This is the perfect way to enjoy this season's abundance of zucchini's.

Zucchini & Potato Latkes

2 medium zucchini's, shredded
1 large potato, shredded
1 shallot, shredded
1 clove garlic, shredded
1 tbsp chives
1 tbsp flour
salt & pepper
chili flakes

In a food processor, shred zucchini, potatoes, shallot, and garlic. Drain and squeeze out any extra moisture. Add remaining ingredients. Add additional flour if mixture is too wet. Heat non-stick pan, and spray with Pam or a little oil to prevent sticking. Add spoonfuls to the pan and flatten with back of spoon. Flip, and cook until crispy.
Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know that the latkes hold their shape and not break without the eggs....good to know.

Annie Ruok said...

I tried to make these during Passover, but they came out quite black on the outside - still edible, but what a disaster - I ruined a brand new pan! I think it'll take me yrs of trial & error (mostly error!) to perfect Jewish food! Yours look great!

Anonymous said...

this looks delicious. i'm a big fan of latkes and loving making them for Chanukkah--never occurred to me to make them with zucchini (though my Korean heritage is full of zucchini dishes and fried zucchini)!

Anonymous said...

Another use for Zucchini!

AG

Anonymous said...

I love latkes - good twist adding zucchini to the potatoes! I can never get enough of the potato latkes on Hannukah.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Another great use of zucchini. I am loving browsing through your blog. You are definitely making me hungry!!!

Anonymous said...

did you ever pre-make, freeze and reheat these? i'm starting my holiday cookathon and wonder if these would be a good make ahead appetizer.

dina (Lucas' mom) said...

I've never done that but if you were to freeze before cooking they will probably turn brown and if you freeze after cooking, they won't be crispy when you defrost them.

You should try a small batch and let us know how it works out for you.

Dina

Anonymous said...

I will be making these tonight. Can't wait. I love your blog. The recipes are all fabulous. Do you remember what month on your blog I would find your Best Chicken Ever recipe? It is the best chicken ever. We licked our plates. Thanks again. Melissa

mony said...

hey melissa!

you'll find the recipe for "Best Chicken Ever" here:

http://michemache.blogspot.com/2007/07/best-chicken-ever.html

(July, 2007)

enjoy!!!