Saturday, May 5, 2007

the apple doesn't fall far from the tree


Dinner was at my parents tonight. Just a simple bbq yet so nostalgic. This is what we had every summer weekend growing up. Even though Mony and I bbq very often, there is something so appetizing about my mom's cooking.
I often wonder what our culinary life would be like if I had not been taught the cooking skills from my mom. I can remember coming home after school every day and having to start prepping dinner. My mom would get home from work by 4 and then the real cooking would begin. I was just the sous chef in her kitchen, but I learned so much. Nothing was ever really measured; it was just added with ease. I recall at the time thinking how awful it was that I had to help out in the kitchen, but I understand now. We weren't just preparing dinner, she was preparing me for life.

Tonight's dinner was a combination of succulent chili meatballs and bright red tandoori chicken all made on the grill.

The meatballs were made with ground chicken, garlic, ginger, green bird-eye chili's and the regular Indian spices like salt, coriander and cumin. Mony likes these so much that he now has the endearing name 'mr.meatball' by my family.

The chicken pieces were marinated in a tandoori paste that included yogurt, tandoori powder, chili powder, garlic, ginger, lemon juice, and salt. We added some bbq sauce towards the end to half the chicken for that sweet & spicy punch.

It was a nice night and I'm glad that after all these years I can finally appreciate why my mom pushed me so much in the kitchen. And I know that Mony appreciates it too.

No comments: