Saturday, June 16, 2007

how im'press'ive

As I gradually got out of bed late this morning after a solid sleep, Dina was out on the balcony reading a book. Being the wonderful husband I (often) am, I thought an early lunch would be in order. Last night Dina mentioned that she would love a grilled panini for lunch on Saturday, so I donned the apron and started to assemble the sandwich of all sandwiches.

I often wonder how Dina can take simple ingredients and make the most delicious sandwich I have ever had in minutes flat while it takes me at least 20 minutes to put together a lackluster one. So today I decided that it was time to exceed expectations and quickly prepare a delectable italian-style sandwich with "melt-in-your-mouth" written all over it.

I whipped out last year's Christmas present from Dina, a stunningly shiny panini press with all the bells and whistles you need to create a crunchy, melty panini sandwich and got to work. I clipped a bunch of fresh basil leaves from our makeshift garden and sliced up a ripe red tomato. Slices of jarlsberg cheese and generous dollops of creamy goat cheese for the melty factor and simple s&p to taste and we were in business. A brushing of extra virgin olive oil on top of the triangles of ciabbata bread helped create a toasty outside.

The result: the classic flavor of a tomato-boconccini salad in a panini. The basil, tomato and cheeses combined to make a mild and gooey centre between the perfectly grilled crunchiness of the bread. A glass of ice cold lemonade and we had the perfect lunch out on the sunny patio.

I might actually be the new sandwich chef of the family after this achievement. Then again, I have some tough competition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks to be the perfect summer sandwich! I'm going to try this soon.