Monday, July 23, 2007

almost peachy

One of the things that I wanted for a while now was a beautiful tart pan. I've been constantly talking about what I would make with one and I guess Mony got sick of hearing about it, so he went out and got me one. I was so excited that I needed to make something with it right away.

Since peaches are so wonderful right now, so juicy and sweet, I thought it would be best to make something showcasing them. I chose to make a simple peach tart with a pâte brisee.

The dough was one of the simplest that I've ever made. It was made in the food processor - 1/2 cup of cold butter, 1 cup flour, a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, and enough cold water to bring it all together. Let it rest in the fridge for an hour for the butter to firm up again. Once ready, roll it out, put it into the tart pan, and stick it in the freezer for another 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice your peaches and add sugar to taste. Our peaches were so sweet that they didn't need any additional sugar. Arrange the slices in a concentric circle, using two layers of peaches. Bake for 45 minutes, or until slightly brown. I added a glaze of loosened apricot jam at the end to give that finished, shiny look.

So how was it?

The taste was right on, and the crust was perfectly baked but since the peaches were so succulent, they released a lot of juices and the crust got a bit moist and not as crisp as it should have been. Does anyone know if this preventable? I really want to be able to make this again, maybe using apples, but I'm afraid of the leakage issue. Anyone have any tips?

11 comments:

Annie Ruok said...

well, it looked really beautiful! what about thickening the filling with a little cornstarch (to make it less juicy?)

Annie Ruok said...

or pre-bake the crust a little?

Andreea said...

heaven!
(i added some semilina flour mixed with sugar at the bottom of the pan/ pastry to soak up te plum juices - surprise, it worked!)

Kat said...

You can macerate the peaches in sugar to draw out their juices, you just toss them with some sugar and let them sit for about 30min and then drain out the juices. You can then boil down the juices and let that shine your tart up in the end.

dina (Lucas' mom) said...

Kathryn,
Would that work with apples as well?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your tart is absolutely beautiful!!

I would try blind baking the crust first.

Anonymous said...

Use a 1/4C to 1/3 C of flour in the filling. That will make it less runny.

AG

Anonymous said...

You absolutely have to bake the crust first ! mix 3 tablespoons of flour with the peaches before arranging them on top of the baked crust. you go the same for apples.

Anonymous said...

wow...stunning....great pie...lovely picture...thx

Anonymous said...

You might try placing them on the tart raw! :)
I just posted a peach tart entry on my blog, take a look: http://cafefernando.com/?p=113

SteamyKitchen said...

still...such a gorgeous photo!