Sunday, July 22, 2007

the results are in...

So, I don't know if he's been lying to me all this time or if I've been rubbing off on him but this meal was one to remember. There were a few minor hitches but overall everything was more than I could have hoped for.

The crab in the crab cakes was tender and flaky while the panko coating was crispy and light. We had them with a lemon-tarragon aioli that was the perfect dip for them.

After the appetizers, there was a lull while Mony finished up cooking. The lull was long, but the whole family waited patiently.

After a while, dinner was ready and I was officially blown away. The rack of lamb was beautifully plated with the creamy polenta being the centerpiece of the plate. The lamb was a bit more cooked then I would have chosen for myself but it was still juicy and tender. The flavor was fresh from all the herbs and the sauce was luscious and silky. It was all topped off with crispy lardons that was the perfect balance to the creamy polenta.

Alongside we had a baguette with a special olive oil that we picked up on our trip in Portugal. It is a reserved edition of a well known brand of olive oil. The flavor was intense and a bit bitter; it reminded me of the nuttiness of olive pits.

Dessert was a bitter sweet (76% cocoa) chocolate mousse. It was fancy yet homey all at once. Perfectly beautiful and decadently rich -- it was the perfect end to the meal.

The raspberries were sweet; a good contrast to the bitter sweet chocolate.

This whole meal was a huge improvement from what I'm used to with Mony's cooking. In the past, he's served under seasoned meals, along with uncooked, crunchy rice. He's come a long way, and it such a pleasure to see him in action - perfectly aligned with everything that needed to get done.

This meal was so good that not only was it something that I would happily pay for in a restaurant but it warrants me not complaining for about 3 months. This is huge for me, but if it means meals like this then so be it. Here's to another great year, full of delicious meals made by both of us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic Mony ! we are very impressed....it was worth the wait ...great pictures !

Anonymous said...

I really am impressed Mony, Happy birthday Dina again and you both are great chefs...

Al Dente.....

Annie Ruok said...

Yay Mony! 3-gold stars! Very impressive! I had Shawn check out your blog & he admitted he could never pull something like this off! U R Amazing! Very cute pix of the cats too! I am sure u r enjoying tasty leftovers today!