Tuesday, July 31, 2007

all hail the kale

Last week I asked all you loyal readers what I should do with the kale I received in my CSA share. We got lots of great responses but one reader's suggestion really stuck out. Chelsey talked about a delicious soup that her mom makes, one that includes hearty potatoes, spicy sausage, and cream. I knew I wanted to make this for dinner, but a little lighter since the weather has been so hot.

My version might have been lighter but still full of flavour and beautifully highlighted kale. I'm sure Chelsey and her mom would be proud!

Kale & Sausage Soup
2 spicy sausages (medium sized links)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup lentils
1 cup water
3 cups chicken broth
1 small bunch kale, chopped coarsely (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon balsamic or red-wine vinegar
chili flakes
salt & pepper

Brown sausage until fully cooked. Drain on paper towels to get rid of excess fat. Add garlic and onion. Cook, until softened. Add water, stock, lentils, and sausage. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Add kale and simmer, uncovered, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in vinegar, chili flakes, and salt & pepper to taste.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go get some kale after work. This has truly inspired me. I think I feel like throwing into a handfull of baby potatos and carrots as well.

In the past, my soup-making has always been a three to four hour ordeal (but my double-double-chicken-chicken soup is AMAZING, if I do say so myself). I am chomping at this bit to try this quick one.

Argh! 6 more hours until work is over.......

dina (Lucas' mom) said...

I would definatly add a potato next time...another thing I would change is that I would chop the kale a bit thinner/finer since the strands were a bit long. An alternative to the lentils could be any type of bean...white beans, chickpeas, etc.
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

White cannellini beans are a staple in my kitchen --- I throw them into anything. And I'll throw them into this!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked my suggestion! And you really created a unique dina-ized version that looks delicious and a bit healthier than our cream and fat laden one. Might just try yours and see how we like it!

**meg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
**meg said...

i made this last night with just a few adjustments (i didn't have lentils) and it was radical. i added a cup of broth, used italian sausage and instead of lentils used cannelini beans and a potato. we baked up some corn bread and it was fantastic. thanks!

katkat'skitchen said...

Gorgeous soup really lovely and I added some chickpeas which imparted a nutty taste.