Tuesday, July 24, 2007

will work for (birthday) cake

One of the many things that I want to accomplish this year, before turning 30, is to become a skillful baker. I've taken little steps here and there, trying simple recipes, and so far everything has been edible but nothing too exciting. There have been small mis-haps along the way and minor emergencies in the kitchen but I still cannot say that it has made me into a better baker. I'm still learning and I hope to use this year to expand on my baking abilities - or at least learn how to follow a recipe to a tee.

So this week when asked what kind of birthday cake I want, I used this as an opportunity to try out a new recipe. Yes, I baked my own birthday cake...doesn't everyone?!? Well, I'm sure Martha does.

I looked up a few recipes for a layer cake but nothing really appealed to me...the thought of having to wash 3 bowls just didn't sit well with me. I then came across Dorie Greenspan's blog that talked about a simple cake that requires no more time then the time it takes for guests to get settled into your home. I love everything Dorie, so I knew that this would be a great cake. I tried my hardest to stick to the original recipe but I just couldn't. The thought of making it into a lemon-raspberry version took over my head and I started adding ingredients without thinking twice about it. Apparently when you bake, you're not supposed to do this...but I just can't help it. So I made Dorie's Visitor cake into a lemon-raspberry version with a lemon cream cheese glaze.

The cake was simply decorated with beautiful, purple, marjoram flowers...how very gourmet of me.

Now, I don't know if Dorie's version is this rich but this cake is buttery, moist, and just down right sinful. The cream cheese icing with the layer of fresh raspberries just brings it over the top...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Save me a piece of that cake!
I also love Dorie...

Anonymous said...

wow, what kind of cake is that ? looks very nice. what is the link to Dory's blog ?

Aa said...

boy would I like to have the step-by-step on this one, if you have the time....

Annie Ruok said...

Happy Birthday Dina - hope u had a great day! Only u would bake your own cake but it looks simply gorgeous & I can imagine how good it must have tasted!

Anonymous said...

So who is eating all these desserts?

dina (Lucas' mom) said...

We don't usually have desserts but since it is a special week for me there is more of them...but we do share them with friends and family.

Anonymous said...

Did you know that baking your own cake is a very Greek thing to do? When we have a birthday or nameday, we're supposed to treat everyone else to celebrate, by buying or baking/cooking something special.

So good job :)

The cake looked delectable!

Happy Birthday hun

Mary

Caley said...

That looks delicious!! Recipe? Link?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Your cake looks very beautiful, you should be proud!
I love the flower decorations and lemon + raspberry is heaven to me. :)