Monday, July 16, 2007

split personality

Swiss chard is like 2 vegetables in one. On one hand, it has a crisp stalk that is very similar to celery and on the other hand, its leaves are soft and tender like spinach. This was the first time we've ever made swiss chard so we had no idea what to expect.

Swiss chard is incredibly good for you. It belongs in the same family as spinach and beets and has an exceptional amount of vitamins and nutrients. Plus, with only 35 calories a cup, there's no guilt.

I chopped up the celery-like stems and sauteed them first in a bit of olive oil and garlic. Once tender, I added the chopped leaves and let them wilt for a few minutes. At that point, I sprinkled a few chili flakes for some zing and added a touch of lemon juice for tartness. Season with some salt and pepper to taste...and voila, the swiss chard was done.
Easy, quick, and tasty.

3 comments:

Annie Ruok said...

Your first time ever making it? I make it quite often & introduced Shawn to it - he always mixes up swiss chard & rapini & I find that so cute, he is never sure what he is eating & will always guess the wrong one!

Annie Ruok said...

k, that comment was really bad english - I meant to say that he gets confused between the 2 vegetables! I make it the exact same way you did btw - isn't it great?

dina (Lucas' mom) said...

I liked it a lot -- much more interesting than spinach.